Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Does A Throwback Post Count?



Working on a new post, I found this among my files, so I decided to upload it. After all, a blog deserves a real "bloggy blog" post once in a while. It's a filler, but hey, I do not want to move it in the recycling bin either.





On a normal Monday, I’d just spend a few of my hours on my two major subjects. The rest of the day usually falls into house chores or personal time. Yesterday though was a mashed-up Monday, I’m not sure if the whole week had been jammed into it.


Our puppy died. Kiri had only been barely eight months old when he caught a virus from our neighboring dog, Tom-tom (who died a week before Kiri did). Actually, I do not know if I’m supposed to feel extremely mournful over Kiri’s death. After all, I had witnessed how he had seizure attacks every few minutes, and they weren’t a pretty sight. His joints twitch and he falls back, shaking, banging into a few of our appliances, before he salivates, and shakes some more. A few times I cried along as I stared helplessly at the terribly-looking dog, I did not wish him to live yet suffer more.

Thankfully, Koko, our other dog, didn’t catch the disease. But we did separate the two dogs when Kiri was still alive. It would be too big of a blow had he died too. Still, I do not know if that’s enough to compensate for Kiri’s passing. I could still recall how Daddy was burying Kiri and Koko just howled and dog-cried. That was weird. I started crying myself when I suspected Koko knew Kiri’s gone for good.


We had a quiz on Odyssey in our World Literature class. This could’ve been one of my most favorite classes had the two blocks not been merged. I had always sat in front, but yesterday, my seat had already been taken, so I had to move to the back where I could barely hear, where elbows touch elbows, and where everybody had to squeeze in their seats. This isn’t supposed to be the set-up. Major classes are supposedly small and, well, major-like, but when our professor decided to merge his two classes (despite objections) for his convenience, this happened.

After class, my classmate began telling me how she’d probably complain to the department chair about the unfair set-up. “This isn’t right!” she whispered in frustration. “This is probably even illegal.” I nodded and deep inside I wished we were back to our original schedules.


For our Current Issues and Trends in Language Teaching class, we finally had our exam. It was actually a relief when I flipped the test paper and saw how every item was an essay question. I did mental cartwheels. Objective types of tests aren’t actually where I’m good at. Thankfully, essays had become my academic saving items. I could not say I perfected the exam (essays are not the types you perfect in here), but by God’s grace, it hadn’t been bad either.


I left my keys dangling on my scooter since ten in the morning, and I only realized that around six in the evening when I decided to go home. Inside I was getting panicky and I was still absorbing the fact that my scooter could have already been stolen. Hannah and I dashed to the parking lot and I held my breath as I saw the scooter there, but without the keys. Praying was the only thing I could do right then.

It was kind of funny now, looking back, because as Hannah and I were discussing where my keys could have been, a guy on his own motorcycle stopped beside mine, and he was rummaging through his bag while listening (I suspect) to our conversation.

Naa ra oh,” he told me, smiling timidly, and holding out my teddy bear key chain and my keys.

Okay, so if I tell you my eyes went wide, I’m not exaggerating. I could just not believe that a stranger in today’s age could still be that kind enough to keep your keys that you had absent-mindedly left on your motorcycle. That was embarrassing, but I’m too happy to think about how embarrassing it was. Thank you, Jerome! The world is a better place with people like you around.


Speaking of good people, I also had the privilege to be treated to my favorite street food, Balut. My friend, Matt, had promised to treat me to balut if he’d play basketball again with our church-mates at the court just a hundred meters from home. Kuya Tan-tan, on the other hand, only stayed with us, entertaining us with his sense of humor. (He refused to eat balut, explaining how it triggers hoarseness. He was so serious I almost believed him!)



Sigh. I would like to label this Monday as a good day. After all, I slept quite in a joyful mood, assured by the Lord’s promises that I had stubbornly questioned days ago.




I'm jammed in a busy schedule now, but I sure am hyped for my upcoming birthday. Okay, I'm not the least expecting a "celebration". You know, with all the food and glamour, especially because I know just how much we had spent for my thesis paper and my sister's birthday last Sunday. But the fact that I'm a year older is enough to send me rejoicing. I couldn't ask for more. 

Now I guess I have to evacuate the internet world and head on to my notes. I still have an exam tomorrow and here I am, lounging in social media sites without signs of guilt. Until now, anyway. ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and contribute to world peace! :)